Sunday, January 30, 2011

Popcorn, Marathons, and Eyeballs

The late night craving hit strongly and with immediacy during my tv rerun marathon. Popcorn was a must, and fast. I went through the motions of setting up the air popper, measuring the kernels, and melting the butter, but the real action came when I went to turn off the machine.

I leaned in just as the scorching hot kernel came flying out of the hood and straight towards my eyeball. As I was flinching away and my eyelids were closing, I saw the cooling airborne kernel explode and turn inside out. As it did it started to fall, and I eased out of my flinch.

Sighing with relief at escaping a potential ER visit I finished preparing my snack and went back to my marathon the awe of exploding popcorn still fresh in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment