Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Shaky Ground

This all started with a knock on the door. Since I was expecting my mother I whipped open the door and made an enthusiastic greeting. The rather shocked door-to-door salesman looked a little started but didn't loose a beat as he launched right into his prepared speech which culminated with the question, "Can I clean a carpet in your house for free?" He took my vague hesitation, and mumbled swear word, as a yes and asked which room I'd like cleaned. With masterful skill- and my total lack of backbone- he dug right into my politeness and said he'd go get his tools. My reply, "Four o'clock would be better."

Promptly at four the salesman and associate were back, but I had come down with a fever (the honest truth) and mom, who had stopped to pick up chicken soup making, was happily chopping veggies the kitchen. It took me a good five minutes to get rid of them, but I did. Why do I have such a hard time defining borders, saying no, and why can't I ever muster up something rude when I need to? If it wasn't for fundraising children I'd have a "No Solicitation" sign up so fast. Hear that all you girl scouts?! I put myself on shaky ground for your peanut butter delights and caramel coconut cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment